Give me something old and broken and I’m in visual heaven.
I’ve always loved the way old things have patina, as if their stories become worn into them. Life leaving it’s mark.
Well, recently I got to shoot some stunning models in corsets in a phone box graveyard thanks to a shoot set up by Sarah Wright. Phone boxes covered in flaking red paint, housing smashed panes of glass and frayed wires where the phones used to be. Perfect shoot location for me.
It’s also been an opportunity to attempt to edit images in a similar style. I usually shoot with one image in mind and when I first started editing these images I simply selected individual images and edited them in whatever style I felt like that night. But, I wanted them to feature as a fashion story on To The Bone and once I put them side-by-side they didn’t really work together.
Some didn’t work because the shift in lighting changed the feel of the picture. It was an incredibly hot, sunny day so there was plenty of direct light, but then the sun would pop behind a cloud and the whole group of photographers would break into a snapping frenzy, making the most of the soft, diffused light.
Unless I have something specific planned, I like playing with whatever light I’m dealt with, but they just didn’t have the same feel and placed together they jarred on me. So I reselected.
Others, I realised, looked better if I changed them to night. But I liked others that were better as day images as well, so I planned a progression, editing so that images went from day to night, while hinting at a story.
Here’s a before and after where I changed an image from day to night:
I think it works as a series, but I haven’t been able to resist editing a few as images in their own right. Here’s one of my favourites:
I tried a new editing style and added in four hands from a totally different set of shots and generally I’m rather pleased with it. Next, I have some complicated composites from the last Brooke Shaden meetup. Or I could actually get around to finishing the conceptual image I shot in June, depends if I can actually decide how to finish it…